Unusual snacks, superstar teachers, and halftime drama: this week on Best of SNO

Did you know that more than 80% of the world eats insects on a regular basis? Neither did we, but thanks to the Best of SNO inbox, we now know that crickets are apparently super good for you. (So is kale, but you won’t see us eating that…) Here are some other things we learned this week: public displays of affection don’t count if they’re really, really short. Girls make pretty awesome quarterbacks. A halftime show at one school made a kid cry. And if your school’s in California, your new English teacher might end up being kind of famous. Read on for our weekly picks, submitted and written by students just like you.

Crickets become the new protein sourceJohn Bandek, Clark Magnet High School
“Whey, protein shakes, and protein bars — that’s what some students at Clark are talking about. However, there is a team of five students that have found a better alternative protein source: crickets.”

Band forced to revise halftime showGrace Mottley, The John Carroll School
“Five nights before their first nighttime performance of the year, the administration asked the Marching Band to rework the choreography of their halftime routine. The administration felt the routine was ‘too somber.’”

What it means to throw “Like A Girl”Brady Ruiter, Owatonna High School
“Most athletes can think of a time when they took their first steps on the game field. Freshman Mia Hiber’s memory is more recent than some of her teammates. Hiber is in her first year of organized football, but she is hardly a rookie. Having played backyard ball since first grade, Hiber has a “backyard element” to her game.”

Playwright, actress, journalist and former model joins English DepartmentHannah Jannol, Shalhevet High School
“She has interviewed celebrities for the Los Angeles Times, blogged for the Huffington Post, written a play, and appeared in the several movies. Her life and writing career have been a conglomerate of cool-sounding enterprises, but at Shalhevet, she will be teaching mostly literature.”

New rule on PDA brings mixed reactionsGarrett Gage, Leander High School
“During the first week of school, principal Tiffany Spicer unveiled ‘Catch and Release,’ a new approach to how staff handles student Public Displays of Affection, or PDA. The policy allows students to hug each other, but only for three seconds.”

Want to see your own story featured on Best of SNO? We love featuring student journalism that’s interesting, well-written, and takes a unique angle on the stories we see every day. If you think you have what it takes, polish up that story (or video or multimedia piece) and submit it right here!