“Newsroom by the Bay” Journalism Camp

We are pleased to be partnering with Newsroom by the Bay, a one-week program in convergence journalism for high school students and advisers, to be held June 26 to July 1 at Stanford University. The program is codirected by Paul Kandell and Beatrice Motamedi.

The program is a new and updated version of Newspapers by the Bay, which has been at Stanford for 33 years. The name change reflects the push to digital media and multimedia storytelling. Just as before, students will focus on journalism basics, including how to report and structure news and feature stories. But they’ll also learn about the new world of digital media, including how to write stories and headlines for the web; how to craft multimedia packages using video, podcasts and slideshows; and how to use the latest in social media and digital storytelling software and equipment.

The program cost is $1,350 for residential students and $795 for commuters, including housing (for residential students), meal plan, program materials and one high-definition camcorder. Students who complete the program in good standing also will earn a free trial of School Newspapers Online’s “Enterprise” website through Dec. 1, 2011. A special adviser strand is aimed at helping journalism teachers to create and manage a converged classroom. Early bird discounts and adviser discounts are available.

Please visit newsroombythebay.com to learn more.