School Newspapers Online, Voice of San Diego Team To Help Schools Publish Online

MINNEAPOLIS — Minneapolis-based School Newspapers Online and voiceofsandiego.org today announced a joint initiative to assist public schools in the San Diego community with their transition from print-based publishing to online news publishing.

The new program, aimed at helping all public schools in the San Diego school district establish an online presence, will include the development of curriculum and training programs designed to teach students interested in journalism how to most efficiently and effectively transform their work into interactive, web-based stories and packages.

School Newspapers Online (SNO) earlier this year established a footprint in the San Diego area by launching a pair of web sites for local schools, and became the vendor of choice for voiceofsandiego.org following an in-depth review of the technology employed by SNO and positive recommendations by the schools already utilizing its services.

“SNO’s great tech support, modern design, and cost-effective approach, make publishing online fast, easy, and affordable. With such positive reviews from schools already using SNO, we knew we had found the right technology partner for our initiative,” said Camille Gustafson, director of development for voiceofsandiego.org.

School Newspapers Online will provide the tools, technology and support, enabling journalism program leaders, advisers and students at those schools to focus on creating compelling content.

Voiceofsandiego is currently seeking additional funding for the initiative, scheduled to roll out sometime in the spring of 2011. As part of the partnership, SNO is extending a packaged services discount to participating schools.

“We’re thrilled to be a part of this exciting initiative with the Voice of San Diego,” said Tom Hutchinson, co-owner of School Newspapers Online.

About voiceofsandiego.org

voiceofsandiego.org is a nonprofit, independent and insightful online news source focused on issues impacting the San Diego region.

Its mission is to consistently deliver ground-breaking investigative journalism for the San Diego region, and to increase civic participation by giving residents the knowledge and in-depth analysis necessary to become advocates for good government and social progress.

For more information, please visit voiceofsandiego.org.

About School Newspapers Online

School Newspapers Online, established in 2008 by a high-school newspaper advisor and teacher and an internet content management expert, is a company based in Minnesota’s Twin Cities that focuses specifically on the needs of high-school newspapers looking to create or enhance their presence on the Internet.

SNO has designed its web sites, well over 400 to date, to address the concerns and needs of newspaper advisers and their staffs. In an era of tight school funding, the company aims to keep its Web sites affordable while offering all the functionality and design flexibility found on major newspaper sites.

For more information, please visit schoolnewspapersonline.com.